PREVENTING A TERMITE INFESTATION
There is good news regarding termite prevention! While infestations cannot be fought by your average homeowner, you can start protecting your property against termites, which in turn protects your greatest investment – your home.
Here Are 10 Termite Prevention Tips
- Termites thrive on moisture – keep your home dry and eliminate or reduce the moisture around your home.
- Check that downspouts, gutters, and splash blocks are correctly diverting water away from your house.
- Repair any leaking drains, faucets, or air conditioning units.
- Repair fascia, soffits, and damaged or rotted roof shingles.
- Replace any loose mortar around your foundation and replace worn weather stripping.
- Store any firewood at least 20 feet away.
- Keep a minimum of 18 inches between wooden sections of your home and any soil or mulch.
- Remove any dead trees or branches from around your home, and be sure to monitor all exterior areas that are wooden.
- Check for mud tubes and hollow wood regularly.
- Get a professional inspection annually. Wood-boring insects will not be covered by your home insurance policy.
If you notice any termites, or suspect an infestation due to signs around your home, you need to contact a licensed pest control provider, such as Arizona Organic Pest & Termite Control. If you have no signs of termites, put these tips to use and you should be able to prevent any bad infestation!
Should I Do Anything If I Don’t Have Termites?
Be sure to determine if you have any termite warranties from previous treatments. Then remove any conducive conditions such as:
- All wood-to-soil contacts, including wood piles, wood sidings, support beams, and other wooden structures.
- Mulch and plant products from the foundation or exterior walls.
- Ensure your foundation is visible and exposed.
- Resolve moisture from around the home or crawlspace.
- Repair damaged wooden structures.
- Inspect any problematic areas regularly – looking for mud tubes, swarms, or damaged wood. Free inspections are easily available and will get you a professional opinion more experienced with these pests.
What If I Find Termites?
The first step is to stay calm. While it is worrying to find, they aren’t an immediate threat. Termites do not bite humans, and do not transfer disease as other pests would. What you should do is get an immediate quote and hire a termite control professional.
Getting A Second Opinion Never Hurts
Arizona Organic Pest & Termite Control is here to help keep you and your home secure.